Sunday 24 April 2011

PP Tips 24 - Using 'Masks' In Photoshop

This is part of a 'How To' series on post process work.

This one deals with some techniques to create masks in Photoshop, and how to then apply editing steps with/within the masks.

There are several techniques to accomplish this, and I am simply showing some of them.

I have made an overview using several different images, and using different styles of masking for different purposes. As it will be difficult to see the process steps here, I have created a PDF file which can be downloaded - Click here

Due to its size, the document is in four sections. The above link will take you to part one and all the other parts can then be downloaded from there.

Please download and, above all, enjoy.

For reference, here are a couple of the original 'as-shot' images followed by the image as edited using the techniques as described.

In this first one, the idea was to completely remove the background to create a 'clipping mask'.


The original image.




The completed image.




With this next one, the goal was to balance shadows and highlights.

The original image.




The completed image.




Hope you find it helpful.


Cheers


...

For other posts in this series, please click here

6 comments:

  1. Nice work Dave. I downloaded the rest as well and am having a look through it.The bottom image of the boatyard was just too tempting so had a go at doing the same with it but in Photoscape. Got a fairly nice result too, could post if for your critique if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ralph, Hi.

    Thanks for the comments. I'd be interested to see it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Dave.
    Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click through to get the full sized image.
    http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/p/photoscape-35-tutorial.html

    Cheers
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, Hi.

    That also looks quite good. Thanks for showing it.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dave, thanks for your comments and sharing your knowledge with me on the Fuji forum, it certainly has helped me to shorten my learning curve.

    Unfortunately I can't respond to your latest posts there as the moderators have seen fit to ban me from the site for a week for "trolling" and not only the Fuji forum, but the entire website.
    Any how, keep up the good work and I guess I will see you there in a weeks time.

    Cheers,

    Daniel Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daniel, Hi.

    Thanks for the thanks.

    Very sorry to hear that. One of the absurdities of FTF is that those who antagonise remain ???

    Cheers.

    PS - If you get a chance, send me an email. The address is in my DPR profile.

    ReplyDelete