Wednesday 23 March 2011

PP Tips 20 - Using The FujiFilm RFC EX

Want to join a photography centric forum ? To join the EyeMindSoul Photography forum, click here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The new FujiFilm X100, HS-20 EXR and the F550 EXR all have Raw capability and each comes bundled with a raw file converter (RFC).

For the EXR series cameras, this is called RFC EX and is powered by SilkyPix. As far as I can tell, it is the same version for all the EXR sensor cameras.

I am a long time user of Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw and use them daily. I have also been using SilkyPix products for the past year, or so. Personally, I think they are excellent products. It just takes a little time to learn to use them.

My first introduction to SilkyPix products was with the RFC supplied with the FujiFilm HS-10. That RFC had quite limited functionality and many settings were simply non-adjustable presets.

Fortunately, the new RFC EX has the important 'controller panes' fully operable and adjustable.

Anyway, I have made a very simple overview of an image conversion/edit. As it will be difficult to see the images here, I have created a PDF file which can be downloaded here

A zipped version is available here

Note : The file is quite large (8 mb) as there are quite a number of image examples

In the example, I am simply running through an overview of how to use the RFC EX. The settings I am using are purely subjective and I would always encourage you to try your own variations. Typically, I step through an image edit in the order that I am showing. This always works well, for me.

Hopefully, you will find this helpful.

Update : Below is an example of an HS-20 EXR file converted with the RFC EX

A friend of mine has just got the HS-20 EXR and sent me a couple of sample Raw files.

The first image below is the Raw file converted in RFC EX but with no adjustments applied. In other words, it is just a 'flat' conversion with the default settings.

The second is the adjusted image which has also then had some additional sharpening applied in Photoshop.

Note : Clicking either image will take you to a larger size





Cheers


...

Other posts in this series - Click here for the index page.

No comments:

Post a Comment