Thursday, 10 March 2011

FujiFilm HS-20 EXR - Sample Image Edit

I downloaded some of the sample images, from the FujiFilm HS-20 EXR, which were made available at a Polish web site (see last post).

One of the images caught my eye and I decided to look a little closer and also do a small amount of post processing on it.

Image 1

This is the image as opened in Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Whilst it is a Jpeg image, I open all my images in ACR first.

One thing that can be seen is that the exposure is quite well controlled and there are only a small amount of areas where the highlights are clipping (the red areas).

Note : Clicking on any image will display a larger size of that image




Image 2

Next, I wanted to go back and see how the image was actually shot. If I open the image in FinePix Viewer, I can see that it was shot with quite standard settings. The two notable exceptions being that dynamic range (DR) of 200% was selected and Sharpness was set to Soft.




Image 3

I then opened the image in Photoshop and viewed it at 100% view.

Keep in mind that the original image dimensions are 15.36 x 11.52 inches at 300 ppi. My monitor is calibrated for Photoshop display at 96 ppi. So, this means that the image viewed at 100%, on my screen, is equivalent to looking at that image at 48 x 36 inches.

Looking at the image at this size, it is clear that there is a reasonable amount of detail, there is some clouding from the anti-alias filter, and overall the image looks slightly 'soft'. The latter most likely being due to the Sharpness having been set to 'Soft'.




Image 4

Keeping the image at a 100% view, I have simply applied a small amount of levels control and sharpening.

You may do it differently, and this is simply showing what I would do to post process the image for printing.




Image 5

Here, I have re-opened the image in ACR so that you can see that my post process corrections have not damaged the highlights more than they were. In fact, the corrections have brought the highlights more under control.

As an aside, this is why I normally have my cameras set to minus 0.33 EV, even when I am using DR 200%. It simply gives that little bit more highlight protection.




Image 6

Here are the two images shown as if at a print view size of 15.36 x 11.52 inches, this being the 'native output' dimensions of the camera and roughly equal to an A3 print size..

What I see is that the original image (at left) is good to start with. This has enabled me to apply a very small amount of post process correction to end up with an image which would print very nicely at A3 size.

Looks good.





To understand a little more about how to setup your monitor to correctly display dimensions in Photoshop, have a look at my article here


Cheers


...

2 comments:

  1. Nice work..... I must admit to never having bothered with RAW images...just too much mucking about for my liking. I do open images in Faststone viewer and often sharpen/adjust gamma/increase contrast/increase saturation there. I still like to play with Photomatix too. My HS-20 images are finding their way into my Flickr now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred, Hi.

    Thanks for the comment. FastStone is a very capable editor, albeit lacking in some areas. Another good one is Windows Live Photo Gallery. I mainly shoot Raw but lately have simply been shooting Jpeg's with the HS-10.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete